Gary is best known as a visionary and a builder of top management teams. Among his many accomplishments, Gary spearheaded the creation of Alterna Bank of Canada, and the successful merger of CS CO-OP and Metro Credit Union to create the new entity Alterna Savings and Credit Union. Under his stewardship, Alterna rose to 'top of mind' recognition nationally, as an industry leader.
Gary was instrumental in achieving legislative change at both the provincial and federal levels as it
pertains to the financial services industry. He has been an active spokesperson for industry vision and regulatory change, and has appeared before House of Commons Committees and Senate Committees.
In March 2007, Gary Seveny retired as President and Chief Executive Officer of Alterna Bank of Canada and Alterna Savings and Credit Union, both headquartered in Ottawa with operations in west Quebec and throughout Ontario; a career that spanned 35 years. Gary remains active in business, currently a founder of the Odawa Group Inc., actively planning the creation of a new Canadian bank that will be focused on infrastructure lending. His devotion to community work remains impressive, having added additional Boards and Foundations to his roster.
Gary’s awards and industry recognitions include the Community Builder Recognition (United Way Ottawa, 2007), the Business Person of the Year – Silver Award (Ottawa Chamber of Commerce, 2002), the Co-operative Lifetime Achievement Award (Ontario Co-operative Association, 2003) and the Angel Award (Fay Bisaillon Memorial Fund, 2004).
Gary has been an active member of his community. Professional, philanthropic and board affiliations include:
- TelPay Board of Directors, 2007 - current
- Excellence Canada, Board of Governors 2001 - current
- Cooperative Development Foundation, 2007 - current
- Bruyère Foundation Board 2008 - current
- Funeral Co-operative of Ottawa 2010 - 2012
- 3Vista Board of Directors, 2007 - 2008
- Ottawa Cancer Survivor Park 2005 - 2008
- University of Ottawa, Telfer School of Management Adv. Board, 2002 - 2008
- United Way Ottawa Board of Directors, 2000 - 2007
- Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation, 1998 - 2007
- Rideau Club, Membership Committee, 2003 - 2005
- Canadian Payments Association, 1988 - 2004
- Association of Ontario Credit Unions, 1990 - 2004